New to DMR..

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
K7DGF

New to DMR..

Post by K7DGF » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:44 pm

Hi everybody!

Long time ham, licensed in 1976, now Extra class. I decided to try out DMR since I'm retired and got time on my hands. First attempt was with a
$50 RD-5R. Was able to program it enough to allow me to see my call show up on the local talkgroups last-heard page, but never actually talked to
anyone. The programming software made me want to rip what little hair I have left OUT by the roots. I'd heard about OpenGD77 and the fact that
it worked on the RD-5R. I tried flashing it, but got a bunch of errors. About this time I decided I was done with it. Gave the radio to a local ham.

Recently I decided to try again, with a little bit better radio, a DM-1801. Once again, the stock programming software drove me nuts, so I decided to try OpenGD77 again. This time I realized that the OpenGD77 CPS had the ability to flash OpenGD77 on the radio. This time the install was a piece of cake. With this CPS, I was able to get several talkgroups working on one of our local repeaters withOUT wanting to pull my hair out by the roots.

Got a question, though, read the documentation for the firmware, and can't find any reference to how to get the radio into promiscuous mode..
(using the latest stable version of OpenGD77)

73 Dave K7DGF

F1RMB

Re: New to DMR..

Post by F1RMB » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:54 pm

Hi,
dfrandin wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:44 pm
Hi everybody!

Long time ham, licensed in 1976, now Extra class. I decided to try out DMR since I'm retired and got time on my hands. First attempt was with a
$50 RD-5R. Was able to program it enough to allow me to see my call show up on the local talkgroups last-heard page, but never actually talked to
anyone. The programming software made me want to rip what little hair I have left OUT by the roots. I'd heard about OpenGD77 and the fact that
it worked on the RD-5R. I tried flashing it, but got a bunch of errors. About this time I decided I was done with it. Gave the radio to a local ham.

Recently I decided to try again, with a little bit better radio, a DM-1801. Once again, the stock programming software drove me nuts, so I decided to try OpenGD77 again. This time I realized that the OpenGD77 CPS had the ability to flash OpenGD77 on the radio. This time the install was a piece of cake. With this CPS, I was able to get several talkgroups working on one of our local repeaters withOUT wanting to pull my hair out by the roots.

Got a question, though, read the documentation for the firmware, and can't find any reference to how to get the radio into promiscuous mode..
(using the latest stable version of OpenGD77)

73 Dave K7DGF
Nice to read you gave it a second chance ;-)

About the promiscuous mode, it's enabled by default. Hence you need to turn on some filtering if you want to partially or totally get out of promiscuous mode, see the doc here

Cheers.
---
Daniel

K7DGF

Post by K7DGF » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:09 pm

Ahhh.. Thanks.. I tried searching through the docs for the word "promiscuous" but found nothing.. I probably mispelled the word. Your link to the docs clarifies it greatly. I see that OpenGD77 REALLY does make DMR FAR more "ham friendly" than the stock firmware... Thanks to the guys who
wrote it!!!!!!

73 Dave K7DGF

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:03 am

Hi Dave, and welcome to the project.

Remember that DMR was conceived as a channelized commercial environment, not necessarily structured for ad-hoc amateur use.

This is the brilliance of what the group did in OpenGD77. It has been redesigned to allow ad-hoc usage in a very powerful voice over IP (particularly Brandmeister network) context.

With OpenGD77 the advantage is that you can configure one channel position on the radio per frequency, and support a number of talkgroups on that single channel entry.

With commercial DMR equipment you configure one radio channel/talkgroup set per channel position.

When the concepts of DMR sink in, you'll find it logical - especially considering the way the Brandmeister network extended the technology to an unlimited international voip network - one of the most powerful things I have encountered in amateur radio.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:08 pm

Welcome.

I have changed your username to your callsign, as this is the site policy and it makes it easier for everyone.

K7DGF

Post by K7DGF » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:47 pm

Ah.. Was wondering why I couldn't login with the username I signed up with. Glad I was able to see your post warning me about changing
it without my having to login..