New member - VK3KYY

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
VK3KYY

New member - VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:09 am

I'm not sure if I need to introduce myself ;-) but just in case

I'm originally from the UK and got my Class B license when I was 14. I graduated to getting my full UK Class A license of G4KYF a year later.

I moved to Melbourne about 20 years ago, and hold an Advanced Australian license VK3KYY

I've been doing various forums of hacking on the GD-77 for almost 2 years, initially on the periphery by decompiling and recompiling and enhancing the CPS, then after Colin G4EML discovered the secret access to the Flash memory in the GD-77 I wrote the FlashManager application to read and write the Flash, which allowed Jason VK7ZJA to reverse engineer the use of the Flash memory by the official firmware, including reverse engineering most of the values in the calibration table.

I think FlashManager has allow the recovery of numerous "bricked" GD-77 radios, as the official firmware has a nasty bug which can overwrite calibration data with junk!

After Kai DG4KLU, managed to discover the firmware encryption key, I attempted to fix some bugs in the official firmware by modifying the machine code bytes of the firmware file, using the ARM assembler language, however I found this was extremely time consuming for very little gain.

So when Kai constructed the whole firmware structure and managed to get DMR Rx working, I switched all my efforts to assisting Kai.

When Kai was no longer able to actively participate in the project I have taken over as the lead developer and I have moved the project forward by writing both the Hotspot mode and more recently the Tier2 functionality - which is a rework of Kai's original Tier1 (actually its "Tier 2 Active") functionality.

As well as writing Hotspot mode and the Tier 2 functionality, I also designed and wrote the Display driver, Menu system, Codeplug API, EEPROM API and the Flash API.

So I'm mostly to blame about the way the radio works ;-)

iw0dt

Re: New member - VK3KYY

Post by iw0dt » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:15 am

Complimenti per l'idea e lo sviluppo del progetto del OpenGD77.
Grazie grazie grazie
73 de' IW0DT Antonio

EA3BIL

Re: New member - VK3KYY

Post by EA3BIL » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:52 pm

Roger,

Congratulations for the idea.

I guess we all will take advantage of this forum to better understand, use, document, troubleshoot and propose/agree improvements in a easier way.

Keep doing !!