New member - DG4KLU

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
DG4KLU

New member - DG4KLU

Post by DG4KLU » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:18 am

Hello.

I'm Kai, DG4KLU.

Born in 1968, licensed (Class C, after conversion now Class A) since 1998, I worked (and still work) in the IT industry as freelance IT consultant & developer on various software and hardware projects.

At the beginning of 2019 DMR drew my attention and I started with a GD77. Then I learned about Travis Goodspeeds works who hacked the MD380 in 2016 and the various things that have been done with that.

I was missing active development and an open source DMR firmware project, so I decided to hack the GD77 and start to write one myself. This lead to a first prototype being able to run on the GD77, performing some basic functions and allowing for open development requiring only freely available development tools.

On the way it got clear that the project was a huge undertaking. Luckily Roger VK3KYY and Colin G4ELM joined. With that the project grew, got named OpenGD77 and matured enough to get useful for further experiments.

Since August 2019 I had to work on some other projects. Thankfully Roger continued to develop OpenGD77.

As soon as my other projects give me enough room, I plan to revive my OpenGD77 development activity. I would like to have some emulation platform for firmware analysis, create a kernel like DMR engine and port the concept to as many DMR devices I can get hold off.

VK3KYY

Re: New member - DG4KLU

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:53 am

Thanks Kai

It's good to know you are still thinking of the project ;-)